Menu

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Jack Horner at Roka Akor in San Francisco

I just read that there's been a changing of the guard at the bar at Roka Akor in San Francisco. I had a few memorable drinks there earlier in the summer which were scheduled next month to post. These next few cocktails are no longer available but worth sharing anyways. Here's my ode to the Daniel Hyatt days at Roka Akor.

I'm usually not a fan of going to Asian restaurants for their cocktails. I've found that many Asian restaurants have cocktail programs that are on the sweet and fruity side. Lychee cocktails anyone? When I first perused the Roka Akor menu and saw the ingredients plum puree, golden raisin syrup and honey, I had a tough time deciding what to drink. I asked the server for some help. Given that my only requirement for a cocktail is that it isn't sweet, the server came back and suggested the Jack Horner with the plum puree. Visions of the nursery rhyme with a Christmas pie and a thumb with a sweet plum came to mind. So while I wondered again if it was going to be sweet, I went ahead an ordered it anyways. I am so glad I did. Each ingredient's flavor came through with each sip. Forget the Christmas pie, this cocktail rocks. My fellow researchers and I tried to come up with just as memorable rhyme for this drink. We did have a few laughs but enjoyed too many cocktails to remember them the next day.

The Drink - Jack Horner, $15
Single Malt Whiskey, seaweed, ginger, plum puree, rose water

The Place - Roka Akor
San Francisco, Jackson Square
Japanese Restaurant
Daily lunch and dinner, full bar
http://www.rokaakor.com/locations/san-francisco/

Other pictures from the visit
Delicious Tuna Tataki, $17

Perfectly spiced Waygu Beef and Kimchi Dumplings, $10

0 comments:

Post a Comment